Monday, June 22, 2009

Sinners & Saints In Soledad & Greenfield

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
Karl Saul & Penny Hamisch are former teaching colleagues in the once small (now expanding rapidly), agricultural town of Greenfield, located in the southern end of the Salinas Valley. I teamed with Karl for a couple of years in grade 5 and had a very memorable time. Now the couple live in Carmel Valley, at the Ayres' family homestead, where I'm staying this summer.

Photo5 shows how much Karl loves the tedious work of completing end-of-the-school-year paperwork. Photo6 was taken in front of a Greenfield landmark, a clothing store called Satisfashion. Photo7: I spent a day with Karl and Penny as they tidied up their classrooms at the close of the school year. We lunched at La Fogota, another Greenfield landmark, where we enjoyed many a meal during my years in the district.

Photos 1-4 were taken at the Soledad Mission, founded in 1791. I stopped by to pick-up a selection of medallions (of saints) and milagros to share with my ISD students, Senegal being a country rich in mysticism and belief in juju fetishes.

No comments: