Sunday, June 12, 2011

. . . 99, 100.


Last September, Sam Scoggins and I drove to N'Gor to meet with the owners of a dive school and club, unknown to me in my first two years in Senegal. Eight months later, I have logged 100 dives, including 22 sub-30m and 10 sub-40m deep dives, and completed a half-dozen PADI classes, all in the company of a remarkably competent group of colleagues, most posted in Ouakam with the French military.

Nautilus Dive Center, located at Hotel Abaka on Plage N'Gor, has been my second home this year. Nautilus is owned by a lovely French couple, Hilda and Philippe, supported by two exceptionally skilled dive leaders/trainers, Daniela and Amyeric, with whom I have enjoyed many hours, both underwater and lunching on the holiday-like patio of the Abaka.

It was a dream to dive the waters surrounding Pt. Alamadies. As it turns out, this was the club's dive turf, in water ranging from 20m to 40+m, with seasonal water temperatures fluctuating from the mid-80s to the mid-50s F, in conditions ranging from the ideal to the horrendous.

It was certainly a dive year, and completely unexpected.

No comments: