Monday, September 21, 2009

Close Encounter at Plage Ouakam




At a depth of about twenty meters, I spotted the large black sea bass in a cave. Before it could get away, I sprinted into the cave and nabbed the sixty pound fish by the tail, gave it a bear hug, and clung on as best I could. The Great Fish fought wildly, but was no match. You see, I love the taste of fresh sea bass slow-smoked over the barbeque, lathered in my grandmother's secret sauce, served with steamed potatoes and snow peas. With this in mind, I wrestled the Great Fish to the surface.

I sensed the shark before I actually spotted it, a large black tip reef shark, some five meters from stem to stern, a vicious man-eating monster. I shouted at it underwater: Be gone you vicious man-eating monster. The Great Fish is mine. I love black sea bass slow-smoked over the barbeque lathered in my grandmother's secret sauce with steamed potatoes and snow peas.

The shark spun around, edged closer, and lunged at the Great Fish. With horror, I released the bass and backed away, saddened by the prospects of having to share my dinner with the shark.

We had mac and cheese for dinner that night, with steamed potatoes and snow peas.

For video footage of the incident, see West African Sea Bass and Black Tip Shark.

No comments: