Saturday, January 23, 2010

Imaging The Future

1
2
3
Photo1: Sitka, Alaska; photo2: the T@B model small ROV, could be us!; photo3: fossiling somewhere.

Randi and I spent Saturday morning looking at small RVs -- strange, given our location and circumstances. We had talked about getting a small RV in past years, trading up slightly from tent camping, carrying a ready-made dry bed and toilet.

Perhaps this is more about envisioning the future, beyond our professional lives. We have talked about moving and settling in Sitka, in southeast Alaska, a vast wilderness of water, islands, rugged mountain landscapes, salmon, whales, and brown bear. Think steady halibut and Dungeness crab! We were both enamored with Sitka, where we visited a couple of years ago. It suits us, being off the beaten track, close to nature, unpretentious, strong sense of community.

I'd like to have a small RV, an R-Pod (look great in the campground), I-Camp, or T@B, maybe the European model (here too). The classic teardrops are a bit small, and I'm not interested in towing a barge. Yep, the small ones are just right -- a bit funky, basic, and portable.

I can see setting myself to visit all of the classic fossil sites of America and Canada, hitting the road several times a year, staying away long enough to appreciate the routines of home.

Envisioning the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hELLO THERE,
I WAS GIVEN YOUR BLOG SPOT BY FREDERIQUE..IT WAS SUPER INTERESTING TO READ ALL ABOUT IT. I KNOW SENEGAL; VERY WELL...20+ YEARS.. AND I AM SETTING UP A TRADING COMPNAY THERE. MY HUSBAND IS A COMMERCIAL DIVER HERE IN WA STATE. WE OWN A SEAFOOD DISTRIBUTION AND MOST OF OUR CONACTS ARE CHINA. we really hope to support the divers in senegal and create jobs. please write me at rebecca.bode@gmail.com so we can touch base.