Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tour de Senegal/Kedougou: Visit to the Bedick Village of Ingel

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

The landscape surrounding the Bedick village of Ingel is familiar, similar to the foothills of the California Sierra Nevada, or the Coast Mountains, with scrub brush and rounded granite boulders.

The hike to the village took us up an inconspicuous trail through the granite outcrop. There was little indication of the village from the bottom (photo 2).

We found Ingel enchanting, a living museum of prehistoric ceramics, simple clay-walled structures, fetishes, and flag stones polished smooth from long continuous use, as one might see in the Old City of Jerusalem (photo 3).

There was a feeling of calm and good-will there. I didn't want to leave. It was a feeling I think we all shared.

We hiked above the village, enjoyed the expansive view, and chatted with our guide and local health aide, Emil (photos 4&5). While Randi asked Emil about immunization and his access to training, I roamed, looking at stones, taken by how so many looked like artifacts, worked and polished.

We visited the village school, a simple straw hut (photo 6).

I decided that were I a Peace Corps volunteer, I would be very content to live and work in Bedick. I asked about backpacking: Would I be able to pass between villages, camping along the way? Would there be a local guy available to guide such a trip? What kinds of animals might eat, bite, or sting me?

A group of women and kids sold crafts at the entry to the village. I decided to buy something from everyone, however small (photos 7&8).

Several days later, an invitation to attend the celebration of Christmas in Bedick came through Douda. Sadly, we were en route out of the area. Our loss, but then there's next year.

For video, see clip1.

No comments: