Sunday, July 25, 2010

Leysin after Endicott: Hike to Tour d'Ai 1

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

Photos (top to bottom): photo1: map showing Leysin and surrounding peaks, including the telecabin (gondola) running from Leyson to the Berneuse Restaurant, and Tour d'Ai; photo2: from gondola into drizzly weather; photo3: Tour d'Ai; photo4: note Lake Geneva in the background; photo5: metal railing and ladder installed to assist hikers at steep section of trail to Ai summit; photo6: narrow trail with exposure obscured by clouds; photos 7-9: from a ridgeline trail on the summit of Ai.

After several rainy/drizzly days here in Leysin, the forecast predicted pleasant weather for today. I had it in mind to take the gondola up, and explore the hiking trail to Tour d'Ai.

The most prominent peaks immediately above Leysin are Tour d'Ai and Tour Mayen, the summits of which are accessible by hiking trail. The Ai is the higher of the two, though only by a few meters. From the gondola, the exposed vertical flanks of Ai is very impressive, and I imagined that the view from the top would be impressive.

I didn't bring hiking boots, but I do have a pair of Keen's, which have a fairly rugged sole, so I thought, good enough, I'll go slow, take my take, a step at a time.

I met a group on my way down. They were contemplating their options, as I had at about the same spot, when fatigue really began setting in, the trail ahead looked steep, and I considered bailing. I suggested they go on, it was worth it. After an hour of steep, muddy, talus, slippery hiking, the trail above assumed a new personality: narrow, exposed, clearly ascending toward the peak, much more fun.

Of course, the best part of the hike is the nap that follows, all the better in a featherbed, in a Swiss B&B.




No comments: