Saturday, August 9, 2008

Morning Sounds




Having enjoyed two solid nights' sleeps, I was up with the sunrise this morning, and collected several audio/video files from our balcony.  

See http://www.becauseoftime.org/ISD/ScenesDakar.html.

The bird song is intense.  

Heard the buzzing of a first mosquito, and responded by strategically placing a bottle of DEET on a patio table, as if to say, I dare you!

In the afternoon, Randi and I walked down to la plage de Ouakam, the nearest easy beach access for swimming/snorkeling, about a 20 minute walk from our home.  The Mosque de la Divinite is located there, with it's tall white minarets.  The beach is classic Senegal:  fishing pirogues (West African narrow flat-bottom boats) line the beach;  goats are dragged by the forelegs into the water for a wash-up;  kids play, while adults mend nets in the shade.  

I suspect that Randi and I were a bit of an oddity, given the looks we attracted, perhaps perceived as misplaced tourists.  There were no vendors hawking wares, or begging kids here, just people at work and play.  We were engaged by only one person, a boat owner who offered his name and telephone number should we like to hire his pirogue for diving or fishing.  As is now common in our interactions, he presented himself as gentle and respectful.

The water was WARM, clear, and inviting.  I did jump in, if only for a few minutes.  Delightful. Here, too, several were out snorkeling, wearing extra long free diving fins, not something I expected to find here.  I'm extremely curious to discover what they're after.  Lobster (wishful thinking)?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, love your narrative and especially the pictures! Keep them coming! We watched the Senegal contingent march in during the Olympic opening ceremonies. I thought, "hey, I know someone who lives there!" Looking forward to hearing about your snorkeling adventures.