Saturday, August 30, 2008

Return to School


Week one down, thankfully.  The return to school is always a little nerve-wracking, both for kids and teachers.  Imagine being eleven, landing in West Africa, and starting class in a new school, with new classmates, and a new teacher.  Changing schools is challenging;  changing schools AND continents is downright terrifying.  Such was the case for 8 of my new 6th graders.

I'm afraid I can't introduce you to my class yet, as I'm waiting permission to use their images on the internet.  Next week.  The two photos above give you an indication of the diversity, reflected in the complexion of the kids' hands.

The first week of school typically centers around forming/renewing relationships and establishing routines.  The emphasis next week will be on thinking and collaboration, as small groups are assigned to explore a problem, by collecting and organizing data, then reporting their findings to the whole class.



1 comment:

Ginny said...

Hi Tod! I love reading about your adventures in Africa. When Mark told me where you were I had to look it up on the map! Since it has been a long time since I have seen you in person have someone take a picture of you. We had a great time at Mark's 60 birthday party! Cheers! Ginny (Fortin)